Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Young At Heart: Troll Dolls!

Remember playing with Troll Dolls?? Last weekend, I spent some time in my Mom's attic trying to dig up my troll doll collection. I managed to only find a few- including my Mom's own troll doll from when she was a little girl. She loved him so much, she gave him a haircut! 
Troll dolls were one of the biggest toy fads in the USA from 1963- 1965. They were originally created in 1959 by Danish fisherman and woodcutter, Thomas Dam. Being too poor to buy a Christmas gift for his daughter, Lila, he carved the first troll doll from his imagination. Soon the other children in the town were requesting them and they began spreading across Europe and eventually made their way to the US. (source)
 I used to love playing with my troll dolls! I especially loved (and wish I could still find) the tiny troll pencil toppers! They were so cute!

5 comments:

kara rane said...

great story behind these troll dolls .. my grandpa used to carve fun toys too.

Sweet Pea said...

:-D

Alissa said...

Oh my goodness! This post brings back a lot of troll memories! I don't know if I ever told you but I had a huge troll collection when I was 10 or so. I think I ended up with almost 50 of them. A few were Treasure Trolls & Norfin but most of them were Russ brand. I did have a purple Treasure Troll just like you have pictured above. I bet my mom still has some of them packed away. Ha!

With Love, Jamie said...

I love trolls :) I still have all of mine from childhood, and a few of my mom's too! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the story of how trolls came to be! and love the photos. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails