Monday, October 7, 2013

My Family Camp Adventure

Good morning! I wanted to share with you some photos I took at Camp Namanu over the weekend. I was there all day on Saturday teaching tie-dye to 100 kids and adults at the FCC Family Camp. It was my first experience teaching and a whole lot of fun.

Camp Namanu is located in Sandy, Oregon (about 1 hour from Portland). We lucked out and had beautiful weather. Being at camp again brought back so many great memories from when I was a girl scout. Going to summer camp every year was something I loved and looked forward to. I didn't attend Camp Namanu as a kid (I went to Camp Arrowhead in Stevenson, WA and Camp Whispering Winds in Philomath, OR) but would have loved to go here. It is so beautiful.





I was lucky enough to have my mom and stepdad come along and help me for the day. And thank god they were there! Teaching tie-dye to a group of 25 people ages 4-adult was quite the crazy challenge. While getting ready for the event I kept the Girl Scout motto, "Always Be Prepared" in my mind and boy did that pay off. 
Whenever you try something new, the first time is always the most nerve-wracking. Did I make enough dye for everyone? Did I bring all of the necessary supplies? What if I can't wrangle the kids in or get their attention? What if someone swallows a bottle of dye? All these things went through my mind in the days leading up to the event, but everything went smoothly! I made enough dye for everyone and we all had a great time. I hope to host more tie-dye classes next year!


3 comments:

kara rane said...

Rachel-
You are the tye-dye master.. & there is some stiff competition in this arena!
Beautiful work.

Unknown said...

I'm a scout too, Rachel! Technically a Girl Scout seeing as how I'm a girl but in the UK we just says Scouts. I'm a leader with the Cubs- ages 8-11, just finished all my training! This camp looks like tremendous fun, and well done with your first teaching experience, those shirts are cool! :)
x

Unknown said...

tye dye fingers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails